- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- In medium saucepan, beat together eggs, milk, sugar and salt.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon with a thin film and reaches at least 160 degrees F.
- Cool quickly by setting pan in ice or cold water and stirring for a few minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least one hour. This forms a chilled cluster.
- When ready to freeze, pour chilled custard, whipping cream and vanilla into 1-gallon ice cream freezer can. Freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.
Banana Nut: Reduce vanilla to 1 1/2 teaspoons. Cook and cool as above. Stir three large ripe bananas, mashed and 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans into custard mixture. Freeze as above.
Cherry: Reduce vanilla to 1 teaspoon. Add 2 tablespoons almond extract. Cook and cool as above. Partially freeze. Add 2 pounds pitted pureed dark sweet fresh cherries OR one can (16 to 17 oz.) pitted dark sweet cherries, drained and chopped. Complete freezing.
Chocolate: Add three squares (1 oz. each) unsweetened chocolate to egg mixture. Cook, cool and freeze as above.
Plum: Reduce vanilla to 1 teaspoon. Cook and cool as above. Partially freeze. Add 1 1/2 pounds pitted, pureed, ripe, fresh plums. Complete freezing.
Strawberry: Omit vanilla. Cook and cool as above. Partially freeze. Add 2 cups sweetened, crushed fresh strawberries. Complete freezing.